Monday, June 23, 2008

Uganda Part 2—A lesson in beauty


I saw this beautiful little boy in an Internally Displaced People's camp in Northern Uganda. I didn't think he was beautiful at first. In fact, he was kind of annoying me. Every time I turned my camera back on the crowd of kids following me through the camp, he was always front and center with his messy face. I found myself wanting to somehow crop him out of the picture, wishing he would give up and drift off to the side. But then I really looked at him, with the eyes of my heart. He was a curious little boy, with bright eyes and a sweet smile, who just wanted his picture taken. It was a dangerous thing to do, and I knew I'd have dozens of tugs and taps for me to do it again, but after I took a picture of him I turned the camera around and showed him the tiny little preview picture on the back of my camera. It was that moment that I wish I could have caught, but it was just for me to enjoy and remember. His eyes got bigger, his smile got wider, and he danced away like a hero. I was completely convicted about my idea of beauty. Sometimes I can get so caught up in the surface stuff. But my prayer is always that God would reveal Himself to me in the subjects of my pictures. Even in the messiest, ugliest situations, we can find a glimpse of Him.

No comments: